Five Accessories For Cyclist That Can Prevent Bicycle Accidents | Virginia Bicycle Accident Lawyer
When you are involved in a car and bicycle collision, the cyclist is very likely to incur serious injury. For that reason, it is all the more important the bicycle riders in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC, focus on preventing bicycle accidents and bicycle accident injuries before they ever get on their bike. Below are five bike accessories that can help to minimize bicycle accident injuries and lower the chances of a bike accident altogether.
- A helmet. The single most important safety accessory you can have as a cyclist is a well-fitting helmet. Bike helmets significantly reduce the number and severity of head injuries during bicycle accidents – and safety advocates say that helmets save hundreds of lives each year.
- A horn. Many bike accidents occur when a car does not see an approaching cyclist and either turns or pulls out in front of a biker. Having a loud horn attached to your handlebars can mean that if you are not seen, you are heard.
- A mirror. Bikers can buy rear-view mirrors that attach to their handlebars or to their helmet – and newer cyclist mirror accessories even include sunglasses with a mirror on the inside. These mirrors can let you know what’s behind you and if an approaching car may not see you. Many bikers are hit by cars from behind, and a rearview mirror can prevent many of these accidents.
- A headlight. Most states require bikers to use a headlight when riding at night – and with good reason. A headlight serves two distinct purposes: allowing the cyclist to see and allowing others to see the approaching cyclist.
- A taillight. Just as a headlight allows car to see you approaching from the front, a taillight allows cars behind you to see you from the back. A red flashing rear light is inexpensive and effective.