Getting the Facts Straight About Wrong-Way Driving in Virginia and Maryland
Cars, speeding down the highway and traveling in the wrong direction, are not just dangerous stunts in the movies. Wrong-way driving is a serious problem that kills hundreds of motorists and their passengers each year. It can happen frequently on one-way streets, but most commonly happens on divided highways that have entrance or exit ramps for access.
Wrong-way driving is an extremely dangerous problem nationwide on our roadways. Wrong-way collisions make up about three percent of highway crashes. These types of vehicle accidents garner significant news coverage due to the catastrophic nature and high fatality rate.
Although the statistics vary by state, one recent Virginia traffic accident study found fatality rates for wrong-way driving crashes to be 27 times that of other kinds of auto collisions.Common Causes of Wrong-Way Car Accidents in Virginia
- Alcohol or Drug Impairment – one of the leading causes of wrong-way crashes.
- Driver age – elderly drivers can often become disoriented and confused on the roads, not able to differentiate between appropriate travel directions.
- Driver fatigue – and other driver distractions can reduce driver alertness and focused attention to the road.
- Confusing ramp design – or highway signage can lead drivers to enter onto highway ramps headed in the wrong direction.
- Drivers with mental or psychiatric problems – or drivers’ inexperience, can cause wrong-way driving incidents to occur.
If you, or a loved one, have been seriously injured in a wrong-way vehicle accident, it’s important to understand that an experienced car accident attorney can help you assert your legal rights. The skilled Virginia car accident lawyers at Lewis & Tompkins have a history of successful personal injury liability cases, helping injured victims receive the fair and full compensation they deserve after a catastrophic car accident. They may be able to help you, too. Schedule your no-cost consultation today by calling 202-296-0666.