Traumatic Brain Injury Statistics | Virginia, Maryland, and DC Traumatic Brain Injury Accident Attorney
Many people are shocked to learn about just how many traumatic brain injuries (TBI) occur in the United States each year - or about how serious an expensive a traumatic brain injury can be. Below, find a number of national traumatic brain injury statistics and traumatic brain injury facts:
· Each year, and estimated two million Americans suffer from a head injury.
· Each year, 300,000 suffer from serious brain injuries that require emergency medical attention and hospitalization.
· 5.3 million Americans are currently living with the consequences of a traumatic brain injury.
· Over 50,000 people a year die from traumatic brain injuries in the United States.
· Each year, 100,000 people will receive a traumatic brain injury that will result in a lifelong disability.
· One out of three injury deaths in America are the result of a traumatic brain injury.
· Brain injuries cost the United States over $60 million each year in lost wages and medical bills.
· Men are twice as likely to suffer from a traumatic brain injury as women. The very young and the very old are more likely to suffer brain injuries than middle-aged Americans. African-Americans are more likely to suffer a traumatic brain injury than other ethnic groups.
· Cycling results in almost 65,000 traumatic brain injuries each year. Football results in 36,000 brain injuries each year. Baseball and softball are responsible for 25,000 head injuries each year.
· One out of four traumatic brain injuries are caused by car accidents.
· One out of five traumatic brain injuries are the result of a sporting activity.
· One out of ten traumatic brain injuries are the result of a physical assault or an assault with a firearm.
· One out of three traumatic brain injuries are caused by falls.