What are the leading causes of rear-end collisions?

Rear-end collisions happen every day, all over the nation. These types of auto accidents occur in rural areas and busy urban settings. While some are entirely unavoidable, many can be prevented by simply practicing safe driving habits on a daily basis.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), an estimated 40 percent of all car accidents are rear-end collisions. Head-on collisions, t-bone collisions, sideswipe accidents, rollover accidents, and single-car crashes (along with many other types) together comprise the remaining 60 percent of car crashes. With statistics like these, there is a good chance that most drivers may be involved in a rear-end car crash at some point while living in the D.C. area.

Common Causes and Contributing Factors of Rear-End Car Crashes
  • Driver Distractions – Texting, eating, rubbernecking, other passengers, or in-car technologies, like a GPS navigation system or a CD player, can take a driver’s attention away from the road.
  • Tailgating – This involves following another car too closely. If the vehicle in front of you needs to stop suddenly, you may not have time to react.
  • Hazardous weather conditions – Snow, icy roadways, and standing water can prevent a driver from successfully stopping his car.
  • Speed
  • DUI or other impairments

This list is not an all-encompassing identifier of rear-end car crashes. In most cases, your car crash may have been caused by something under one (or more) of these categories.

Located in Montgomery County, our offices proudly represent victims of car accidents throughout Maryland, Virginia, and the Washington, D.C. area. Call today to schedule your free, no hassle consultation.

CONTACT US FOR A FREE CONSULTATION
Contact Us